In December 2005, a small group of wine enthusiasts and investors acquired the historic La Grange farm, acres of land with a dilapidated manor house and numerous out buildings. The investors's goal was to open a high-quality winery in Prince William County, a first for the county. The property now includes 5.6 acres of vineyards, the restored circa 1790 manor house, and a wine production facility.
The estate is rich in history; it had originally been carved out of Robert “King” Carter’s Bull Run Tract in the 1600s and later became known as La Grange. The property’s ownership changed many times over four centuries. Fortunately the three-story red brick manor house built by George Green survived.
Library of Congress records contain photographs taken in 1937 when the building was remodeled. Additional photographs, now on display at the winery, show the estate in 1958. The English Boxwoods which surrounded the manor house in earlier years died from blight, but in their place are American boxwoods that have grown to a height of over 20 feet, forming a striking archway over the stone path that leads from the manor house to the winery building.
The Winery at La Grange was formally launched in December 2005 and opened to the public on Labor Day 2006. Wine is made from the winery's own grapes as well as fruit from other Virginia vineyards, and some from the West Coast. All wine is then produced on-site.
Accessibility: The winery offers handicap parking at the wine production barn, and the main tasting room is wheelchair accessible.
No groups over six at main house tasting bar. Groups call ahead for reservations. Kids, pets, private parties, weddings welcomed. Parking for buses/RVs.
Has something changed? Email us
updates about this venue!